Languages

  • English
  • Français

HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM


  3rd December 1845: the Museum is created, upon the Prefect Morisot's decision (father of the painter Berthe Morisot), together with the Limousin Archaeological and Historical Society which is responsible for its administration.

1852: the rise of the porcelain industry fosters the creation of a "Ceramics Department" within the museum.

1865: a wealthy merchant, Adrien Dubouché, is appointed director of the museum. He is a real benefactor for the establishment.

1869: the Archæological Society gives the Ceramic Collections to the City and the State allows it to grant the name of Adrien Dubouché to the museum. At that time, the Municipal School for Decorative Arts is enjoying great success.

1881: the School and Museum become national institutions.

1883-1900: the new City Hall presents a collection of paintings until the inauguration of the new Adrien Dubouché Museum

21st August 1909: the State sells the former Episcopal Palace and its gardens to the City. This agreement symbolizes the museum's birth certificate, as it makes reference to the creation of a "museum-library".

1912: a 2nd museum defined as "scientific, archæological and historical" opens its doors in Limoges. It will be the current Fine Arts Museum. 

  1915-1922: the army requisitions the palace as a "supplementary hospital".

1925-1945: the Regional Sample Museum, created to promote "the commercial and industrial development of the City and the region", is situated in the 1st floor.

1926: acquisition of 32 paintings by Paul-Laurent Courtot (Limoges views).

1931: Jean-André Périchon leaves an important collection of Egyptian antiquities (almost 2.000 objects) to the museum.

1947: Mrs Bourdery leaves to the museum a set of enamels that had belonged to her husband and precious documention regarding Limousin painted enamels.

1948: exhibition of 180 Limousin Champlevé enamel masterpieces (12th-14th centuries).

1951-1960: the French Museums' directorate decides to redistribute objects between the two Limoges museums. Enamels, archæology, sculptures, paintings and drawings will be exhibited in the Episcopal Palace from now on.

1963: the museum shares the palace with the Music Academy.

Night of the 31st December 1980: theft of 27 Champlevé enamels and silverware pieces.

1999: the museum acquires the Renoir painting Portrait de Marie-Zélie Laporte, paid by public subscription and private contributions. 

18th July 2002: the museum is awarded the official Label Musée de France.

2004-2007: archæological excavations are undertook in the museum's courtyards and surroundings.

2006 - 2010: restructuring and extension works are conducted. From 2008-2010, the museum is closed to the public. 

3rd December 2010: inauguration of the new museum under the name of "Limoges Fine Arts Museum". This architectural showcase offers remarkable collections accessible to everyone. 

S'abonner à  flux RSS